Single Button 1-39 ABB Chronograph

Welcome to English speaking friends from everywhere around the world!
Rispondi
hampden
user
user

Single Button 1-39 ABB Chronograph

Messaggio da hampden »

As suggested by Zvezda here is the Type-1 single button Chrono I am waiting to arrive from Tashkent. The movement date does needs verifying. The case is marked ABB.
In the other post I asked about the ABB 'Artel'. I understand that the period just before the Great Patriotic War was a turbulent time for co-operatives and asked if any members know when it was disbanded.
Immagine
zvezda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Single Button 1-39 ABB Chronograph

Messaggio da zvezda »

hampden ha scritto:In the other post I asked about the ABB 'Artel'. I understand that the period just before the Great Patriotic War was a turbulent time for co-operatives and asked if any members know when it was disbanded.
Unfortunately, there is no document I know of which states how long did ABB survive before getting disbanded. However, modified watches bearing the ABB mark do exist which are based on movements as late as 1941.
See for instance #1268 in Mark Gordon's collection, which is based on a 3Q-1940 movement. Another one is the following pocket watch with center seconds, which was for sale at meshok.ru a while ago. The ABB logo is barely visible in the last picture, right under the serial number. The movement is dated 3Q-1941. Interestingly, both samples show a well preserved movement, but an oxidated additional brass piece. An obvious sign of the much better quality of the plating applied at the factory.
ABB41-dial.jpg
ABB41-dial.jpg (38.01 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
ABB41-dial2.jpg
ABB41-dial2.jpg (36.06 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
ABB41-movt.jpg
ABB41-movt.jpg (44.78 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
ABB41-back.jpg
ABB41-back.jpg (15.86 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
for comparison, see the additional brass bridge in Mark Gordon's #1268
1268D.jpg
1268D.jpg (117.68 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
The Артель Верное Время, Artel "Right Time" was not alone in making modified Type-1 watches. At least another artel was operating in Moscow in the same period. It's the ТМП, short for Трест Местной Промышленности, Trust of local industry. There are several Type-17 wristwatches with the TMP logo, like #0469 (1Q-1941) and #1445 (4Q-1940) in Mark Gordon's collection.
Those "late" movements are stamped ТМП Ж.Д.Р-на Москва (Железнодорожный Района, Railway District)
1445A.jpg
1445A.jpg (84.18 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
Earlier TMP watches were stamped ТМП Сок. Района, Москва (Района «Сокольники», Sokolniki District) maybe because that was the former location of the TMP artel in Moscow. The following TMP pocket chronograph was - and perhaps still is - for sale on meshok.ru too.
TMP01dial1.jpg
TMP01dial1.jpg (69.14 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
TMP01dial2.jpg
TMP01dial2.jpg (65.77 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
TMP01dial3.jpg
TMP01dial3.jpg (66.17 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
TMP01dial4.jpg
TMP01dial4.jpg (73.3 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
TMP01dial5.jpg
TMP01dial5.jpg (71.69 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
TMP01movt1.jpg
TMP01movt1.jpg (98.89 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
TMP01movt2.jpg
TMP01movt2.jpg (109.87 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
TMP01back1.jpg
TMP01back1.jpg (88.99 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
Among the few subtle differences, note the inspection hole on the additional brass bridge, a feature not present in the ABB version.

Particularly interesting is Mark Gordon's #0013 (1Q-1940). It is a TMP pocket chronograph with serial number very close to yours, also featuring the inspection hole on the additional bridge.
0013G.jpg
0013G.jpg (266.88 KiB) Visto 7479 volte
OK, enough chatting :grin2: Let's wait for your beauty (and please show us some pics!)
Congratulations on your newest acquisition as well as the recent updates to your great pages about The Birth of Soviet Watchmaking (also featured on our links page at app.php/page/links)
Warm regards,
-- zvezda
hampden
user
user

Messaggio da hampden »

I get worried when people see me as an expert and your post is a good example of why I am a simple student - because just when I think I have seen everything connected to Type-1's, up pops something new :shock: That modified one with the sweep secondhand is great. Do you have a link to that site or was it long ago :?:
A similar watch to the last one you pictured is also on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Rare-US ... SwL7VWr9cb. It is less money than the one I purchased, however it was not in working order. I did note the ТМП dial logo - it has a 1SWF movement stamp. The stamp on the one you pictured seems to have been ground down.

Added on the 11th Feb...
Here is a link to a video of the watch being used. The clicks are very sharp and precise. The watch is more tactile than a standard Type-1.
zvezda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da zvezda »

hampden ha scritto:I get worried when people see me as an expert and your post is a good example of why I am a simple student - because just when I think I have seen everything connected to Type-1's, up pops something new :shock: That modified one with the sweep secondhand is great. Do you have a link to that site or was it long ago :?:
We're all students, Alan, that's for sure. I don't remember where did I gather the pictures from, but google images located the very same ones at http://forum.oldwatch.ru/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=203
Thank you for the video, the watch is stunning and, indeed, the action looks remarkably good. No question that people at ABB knew what they were doing!
Rispondi